Dog ate plaster

Dog ate plaster


As an animal behaviorist and pet expert, I have encountered a myriad of unusual situations involving our furry friends. One such scenario that often raises alarm among dog owners is when their precious pet consumes something they shouldn’t, like plaster. In this blog post, we will delve into the issue of dogs eating plaster and discuss the potential risks involved, how to prevent it from happening, and what actions you should take if your dog has ingested plaster.

The Curiosity of Dogs

Dogs are naturally curious creatures. Their curiosity is one of the many charming traits that make them such delightful companions. However, this attribute can sometimes lead them into trouble – especially when it comes to eating things they shouldn’t.

You may be wondering why your dog would want to eat plaster in the first place? The answer lies in their strong sense of smell. Plaster contains various ingredients that could potentially attract a dog’s attention due to its unique scent or taste.

The Dangers Of Eating Plaster

While dogs’ stomachs are generally quite robust and capable of digesting a wide range of substances, there are certain things they simply should not consume – plaster being one such substance.

When ingested by dogs, plaster can pose several risks:

1) Choking: Depending on the size and shape of the piece ingested, there’s always a risk that your dog could choke on pieces of plaster.

2) Gastrointestinal Obstruction: If larger chunks are swallowed whole or only partially chewed up before being swallowed, these pieces can become lodged in your pup’s digestive tract causing discomfort or even serious health problems.

3) Toxicity: Although most types of plasters aren’t necessarily toxic per se for pets; however some types do contain substances which may cause irritation or even toxicity.

Preventing Your Dog From Eating Plaster

The best way to deal with the problem of dogs eating plaster is to prevent it from happening in the first place. Here are a few tips:

1) Keep Plaster Out of Reach: If you’re renovating your house or have plaster around for any reason, ensure that it’s stored securely where your dog can’t access it.

2) Distract and Redirect: Provide plenty of appropriate chew toys and treats to keep them occupied. This will help divert their attention away from potentially harmful substances like plaster.

3) Obedience Training: Basic obedience training can go a long way in preventing such incidents. Commands like “leave it” can be very effective in preventing your dog from consuming something they shouldn’t.

Action To Take If Your Dog Has Eaten Plaster

If you suspect that your dog has ingested plaster, don’t panic. Here are some steps you should take:

1) Contact Your Vet Immediately: Explain the situation clearly so they can advise on the best course of action based on factors such as your pet’s size, age, overall health status and amount of plaster consumed.

2) Maintain Close Observation: Watch out for signs such as loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea or lethargy which might indicate discomfort or obstruction.

3) Avoid Inducing Vomiting Without Veterinary Guidance: Vomiting may cause more harm than good especially if large pieces are involved which could potentially lead to choking.

Remember – while our dogs bring us endless joy and companionship, their safety is always paramount. So let’s do all we can to keep them safe by being vigilant about what they put in their mouths!

Share the Post:

Related Posts